As we head into a new year, you might be turning your attention to staffing requirements for the year ahead - preparation and planning are essential to ensure you attract and secure the ideal candidate.
When recruiting for a role you should:
- Know the law. Are you aware of discrimination protections for candidates? Also consider appropriate advertising content and minimum employee entitlements for the role being recruited for.
- Review or create a job description that accurately reflects the requirements of the role. Consult with the line manager or an employee that works in a similar role to ensure the job description covers all core requirements.
- Formulate targeted interview questions that cover off on key skill/experience requirements detailed in the job description. You should ask each candidate the same set of questions so you can compare them fairly.
- Determine and develop additional questions. These may cover working regular overtime, working rights for Australia, salary expectations and questions to determine candidate motivation and interest in the role.
- Consider who is most appropriate to conduct the interviews. It is best to have the line manager and at least one other person interviewing together. The same people should interview all candidates to allow for an accurate comparison.
You are now ready to advertise, receive applications, conduct the interview and select the best person for the job.
Want more content like this? Download our free HR Toolkit “How to Recruit Like a Boss” for more recruiting tips.