WorkCover WA has warned businesses to check their insurance for worker’s compensation cover to avoid costs and fines.
The warning came after the agency noticed a number of cases in which businesses had found their insurance package excluded workers’ compensation liability.
WorkCover WA said businesses without workers’ compensation cover could be liable for:
- costs in excess of $600,000 in benefits if a worker is injured
- fines of up to $5000 per worker
- any avoided premiums going back five years
- liability for the cost of any action taken at common law or
- legal costs involved in any court action.
Further information on employers’ rights and responsibilities can be found at workercover.wa.gov.au/publications.
► Need help managing workers’ compensation claims? Contact the Workplace Consulting team now on 9365 7660 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.